The Mount: Edith Wharton Estate
The Mount, Edith Wharton Estate, is a historic site that was inspired, designed, and built by Edith Wharton in 1902. The vision behind Edith Wharton Restoration is to preserve and restore The Mount as a tribute to its creator.
Awarded to Allegrone, this competitively bid historic restoration project encompassed both the Gate House and the Stable. The Gate House restoration focused on 1,300 square feet of roof coverings and woodwork above the 2nd floor window line. Allegrone completed the removal of existing roof coverings, installation of a new cedar shingle roof, new Zinc Coated Copper flashing for valleys, eaves, hips, and at transition from sloped to flat roof, new step flashing at two himneys, and Zinc Coated Copper sleeves at the vent stack. This project also included installation of a new EPDM roof over the recovery, restoration of wood work, and complete installation of a lightning protection system. The Stable restoration work encompassed the structural repair and upgrade of roof framing, including realignment of two small cupolas and installation of a new EPDM roof over the recovery board. The masonry chimney above the roof was completely rebuilt, while the portion of the chimney inside the attic involved deep re-pointing.
Edith Wharton Restoration, Inc.
Solomon + Bauer Architects